Wednesday 13 July 2011

Fly Fishing and G&T's

Is there anything better than a surprise birthday weekend away? I can't think of too many things...thanks to Derrick's mom we were treated to a wonderful weekend at Doornkop Fish & Wildlife Reserve!




20-odd km's outside of Dullstroom, Doornkop is set in the heart of the Komati Valley, and as cold as it is, the setting is just gorgeous!








Other than the game heads on the wall...the accommodation was great - and the underfloor heating was a welcome addition.





The weekend was a great family break, with fly-fishing being on top of the list of to-do's...well for the boys anyway - the lesson was at 6am, so I opted for the comfort of my bed for a little longer :) I did, however, decide to go for an early morning walk...my lungs took a bit of strain, both because it was freezing, but also because I am seriously unfit...as you can see I went prepared!
The GM of the resort agreed to show his skills to the boys - obviously a good teacher because before they knew it the fish were biting. 

 As proud as I am of the boys fishing achievements, I think that there is one last aspect required in order to fully qualify as an expert fly-fishermen...as one would say 'It's all in the Outfit'... :)



So after all the fresh air and activities, there was no better end to the day than fresh trout and gin & tonics - CHEERS!


Even though the reserve is designed around the fishing, there are walking trails, horse-riding, a tennis court, game drive routes, mountain biking...and more, so being only 2 hours out of Joburg, it's a great weekend break for all!




No comments:

Post a Comment